Sunday, July 24, 2011

Eggplant Parm

I was craving eggplant parm as I sat in my garden impatiently waiting for my baby eggplant to grow in. So I decided, instead of waiting, I would hit up my local farmers market (which consistent of 3-4 produce booths) and pick up some farm fresh eggplant.

(my slow growing Italian eggplant)

After picking up my supplies I remembered a friend of mine making a killer eggplant parm. He insisted the key to his recipe was sprinkling the eggplant with salt and straining them. A skip he said almost no one does...I didn't want to burst his inflated Italian cooking ego, but most recipes I found online DID include this step, so I let him carry on believing he was special. This step is done to pull some of the moisture in the eggplant out and to prevent bitterness...So, now let's start at the beginning...

Things you'll need:
2 lbs Eggplant (I used a combo of Italian and Japanese Eggplants)
4 eggs
Bread crumbs
Parmesan Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese
Tomato Sauce
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Peel then slice the eggplant about 1/8-1/4 inch thick, depending on your preference. Generously salt the eggplant then layer in a colander and let the excess water drain off for about an hour to two. Once the eggplant are ready to go, give them a basic breading- dip in egg then coat with bread crumb mixture (bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper). Heat a large pan, with a nice coating of olive oil, to medium-high heat and saute until golden brown on both sides (about 2-3 mins per side depending on thickness)

Now, for the fun layering part.. Coat the bottom of your casserole dish with whatever tomato sauce you are using (I used some homemade sauce) then add a layer of eggplant. Top each layer with a little sauce, parm cheese and mozzarella cheese...repeat until you have no more eggplant. Pop into an oven at about 375 for 30 mins. Enjoy!

(Almost all gone before I got the 'after' pic)



2 comments:

  1. If you don't want to fry it in oil, you can bake them for 8 to 10 minutes each side at 375, after breading, also for extra crispiness use some panko bread crumbs instead of the regular old ones. BAM!

    ReplyDelete