Sunday, June 12, 2011

Where's the Beef...Bolognese?

To the amateur cook, the thought of tackling a fresh Bolognese seems scarier than rappelling down a 20 story building..However, I might be one of the rare humans on this planet who has done both and I'm here to tell you that Bolognese is way less scary..and super easy!

Before we get started, I would feel better if I got something off my chest...I'm not really one for keeping accurate recipes..but, I will make a conscious effort to get better as we continue this journey together..

Things you will need (to the best of my knowledge):
2 lbs ground beef
olive oil
1 red onion, finely diced
4 carrots, peeled and finely diced
4 celery stalks finely diced
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup wine, red or white
2 15 oz cans crushed tomatoes
fresh oregano
red pepper flakes (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

So, basically it's really easy..heat the olive oil in a large pan then add onions, carrots, celery and garlic, sprinkle with salt to help soften the veggies...


After about 10 mins add the beef. Once the beef is cooked through add salt, pepper and tomato paste until its thoroughly mixed in then pour the wine to deglaze the pan. Once all the alcohol has cooked off you can add the tomatoes (if you have fresh tomato sauce ready to go, by all means use that..fresh is always better) Once everything has come to a boil, add the oregano and pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Cover with lid, cook on low for about 2 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I made something similar but I used stew beef and cooked it until it fell apart. Turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you add some fresh roasted green chilli, shredded cheese and scrambled eggs to the recipe, you'd make a very presentable machatka. Perfect for a lazy sunday brunch. serve with fresh corn tortillas. I'd suggest using a very lean grade of beef.

    ReplyDelete